Employment-Based Visas are divided into categories based on a preference system. Prospective employees must wait for an immigrant visa number to become available according to the following preferences:
- Employment First Preference: Priority Workers including aliens with extraordinary abilities, outstanding professors and researchers, and certain multinational executives and managers.
- Employment Second Preference: Members of Professions Holding Advanced Degrees or Persons of Exceptional Ability.
- Employment Third Preference: Skilled Workers, professionals and other qualified workers.
- Employment Fourth Preference: Certain special immigrants including those in religious vocations.
- Employment Fifth Preference: Employment Creation Immigrants (i.e., Investors).